Wednesday, February 18, 2015


    Describe a person you know who is good at cooking
-       Who the person is
-       What is your relationship with this person
-       What kind of food he or she cooks
-       Explain why you think this person is so good at cooking
Sample Answer:
I believe that my mother is a good cook and she is very good at this skill. Ever since I can remember my mother has fed me with delicious food items. She can cook a variety of food stuffs. But she is really good at cooking Punjabi food. Since I live in Punjab and we Punjabis eat a variety of dishes which are prepared using vegetables, pulses, cereals, meats and so many other snacks and sweet dishes. My mother has a mastery at cooking all the dishes we eat during all the seasons. When I was a child; I did not like the food adults ate which was hot and spicy for me. So, my mother would cook food specially for me. This allowed me to realise the efforts she makes to ensure everyone sleeps with a full tummy. As I grew older, she changed her cooking style and ingredients as per my growth requirements. During summers, she cooks the seasonal vegetables like squash, pumpkin, varieties of gourds and in winters, she cooks the fresh vegetables like carrots, peas, cabbage and cauliflower to ensure we relish the nutrition rich fresh food. It is in this season that we eat the famous sarson da saag. It is basically a green curry prepared by mustard and spinach leaves. It is tempered with garlic and ginger and then served with a dollop of butter and maize flat-bread. I especially love the sweet dishes she prepares because I have a sweet tooth. She makes rice pudding, vermicelli cooked in milk and a special pudding made of wheat-flour or semolina, sugar and milk fats. It is a treat in itself. I think my mother is good at cooking and I think no one can cook food as delicious as my mother does. She makes sure that the food she cooks suits everyone's taste. She goes an extra mile to select the hygienic, healthy and delicious ingredients for every dish. I have also learned some dishes to cook with the help of my mother. Although they are not comparable with what she cooks but still I try. I hope that I will also become as good cook as her some day.
Follow ups
1. How often do Indian people cook at home?
- Indian people often cook at home. We prefer to eat almost all three meals at home. It is healthier and also economical for us. 

2. There are more restaurants nowadays. Do you think people eat out more?

- Yes there are more restaurants these days but I guess when people need to take a break from the food they eat daily and they want to celebrate special events such as weddings, engagements, anniversaries, birthdays etc, they like to eat at the restaurants. 

3. Do schools have cooking classes in your country?

- I think some schools have cooking classes as part of their curriculum. But it is only in some schools. Most of the schools do not have cooking classes because the schools have so much burden of other subjects and extra-curricular activities. 

4. Do you think we should teach children how to cook?

- I think yes, we should teach the children how to cook food. This will be very helpful in the long run. For example; if children are going to go to hostels for their senior secondary or tertiary education or if they are alone or if they have no one to cook at home; in such a situation, they can cook the food or sometimes help the main person cooking the food. So, it comes handy when children know how to cook. But at the same time, they should be given proper precautions regarding how they can handle the kitchen equipments especially gas stoves and knives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment